How to prevent pet hair from clogging your HVAC system
Dogs and cats make excellent household companions. However, their fur and dander can clog your HVAC system, forcing it to work harder than it needs to. Over time, this can lead to premature wear and tear or unexpected breakdowns. Here are four ways to prevent your HVAC system from being damaged by your pet’s fur.
- Clean or replace your air filter often. Your HVAC system’s air filter prevents pet hair and dander from reaching your vents. If you have a pet, you should check your air filter every month and clean or replace it every three to four months. Replacing your air filter takes just a few minutes and can help preserve your HVAC system’s life and efficiency.
- Bathe and brush your pet regularly. It’s a good idea to regularly bathe and brush your pet to capture excess hair before it can spread around your home. A slicker brush is a great choice for dogs, while a grooming mitt is suitable for cats.
- Keep your home clean. Pet hair tends to settle in carpets, blankets, pillowcases and other fabric surfaces. Therefore, you should vacuum, sweep and dust your home multiple times a week to reduce the amount of pet dander and fur floating around your home.
- Invest in an air purifier. If you or someone in your family is particularly sensitive to animal hair and dander, it may be best to invest in an air purifier. Air purifiers are designed to capture airborne pet contaminants and other harmful particles before they can be circulated throughout your home. You can have one built directly into your existing HVAC unit system.
- Get your ducts cleaned periodically. Most pet owners should have their ductwork cleaned every two years. However, if you have several pets, you may need to do this more often. Removing accumulated pet hair and dander is important for deodorizing your home and keeping your indoor air fresh.
Lastly, regular maintenance on your HVAC system ensures pet hair and dander aren’t clogging it up. Fortunately, Aire One Heating & Cooling offers a protection plan to ensure your system works at peak efficiency and is free from pet debris.
Heating repairs and HVAC services in Guelph and Cambridge
If you want to keep the air in your home fresh, clean and free of pet hair, Aire One Heating & Cooling is the place to go. Our team offers furnace and air conditioner installation, repair and maintenance services in Guelph, Cambridge, Stratford and Woodstock. Contact us today for more information on our products and services.