5 common boiler problems and how maintenance can prevent them
Boilers are an essential part of any home’s heating system. They keep your home warm and cozy during the chilly Canadian winters. However, like any other appliance, boilers can develop problems over time. Here are five common boiler problems to look out for.
1. Leaks. A leaky boiler can cause significant damage to your home if left unchecked. Loose seals, corroded pipes and excessive pressure can all contribute to leaks. It’s crucial to have a technician get to the root of the problem.
2. Strange noises. Loud sounds, such as gurgling, humming and groaning, can indicate that your boiler isn’t functioning correctly. Although the issues that cause these noises may not always lead to significant damage, they can decrease your boiler’s efficiency and lifespan.
3. No heat or hot water. A lack of heat or hot water is an unpleasant issue for homeowners, and can be a major problem, especially in the winter months, when heating is a necessity. An HVAC technician must investigate the issue to determine if the culprit is a broken component or faulty thermostat.
4. Kettling. Calcium and lime buildup within the pipes can restrict the flow of water. This causes the water to overheat and start to boil. The steam trapped inside the pipes makes a whistling sound, just like a kettle. Whistling is a red flag and suggests that your boiler isn’t running very efficiently.
5. Frozen condensate pipes. Frozen pipes are a common issue during Canadian winters, and the condensate pipe that directs wastewater from your boiler to the outdoors is often affected. A frozen condensate pipe can cause the entire boiler system to shut down. Luckily, you can usually thaw it out by pouring hot water over it.
Replacing a boiler can be expensive, but with regular maintenance, you can extend its lifespan and prevent costly repairs. It’s recommended to have your boiler serviced by a licensed HVAC technician once a year to keep things running smoothly. They can identify and address issues early on to keep your boiler running efficiently.
Boiler maintenance in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Woodstock and the surrounding area
At Aire One Heating & Cooling, we understand the importance of a well-maintained boiler. If you’re having problems with yours or want to schedule an appointment for routine maintenance, our licensed HVAC technicians can help. We offer various protection plans to give you peace of mind and help you save on unexpected repair costs. Contact us today to learn more about our boiler maintenance and repair services. We serve customers in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Woodstock and the surrounding area.